New Therapy? Album ‘18
So, thoughts on Callow anyone? I like it. There are some new elements with the T? sound here. Vocally there seems to an emphasis on the harmonies and melodies. That’s not something I would typically associate with them. But it’s cool. Very cool. The lyrics are pretty dark. It’s a good tune and it’s growing on me more and more with each listen. I really like the bass sound. The drums capture the attack like only Chris Sheldon can. Especially those toms! Will I be listening to it on repeat for at least the next week? Hell yeah! Bring on that new album ASAP.
Nice production for sure. Chris Sheldon has a sound that you can't describe but you know it when you hear it.
The lyrics basically sum up for me why I never want to take drugs to cure my depression.
For sure. You know that Chris Sheldon production. But credit to the guys - clearly pushing the approach in a another direction perhaps maybe like Joy Division? I’m getting Unknown Pleasures here. Deliberate or not. It’s brilliant.
(05-25-2018, 08:04 PM)Vdubber Wrote: For sure. You know that Chris Sheldon production. But credit to the guys - clearly pushing the approach in a another direction perhaps maybe like Joy Division? I’m getting Unknown Pleasures here. Deliberate or not. It’s brilliant.

Pretty sure they've pushed this direction before.
Callow is a good song but it's seems to be more of the Disquite angle which doesn't interest me greatly. They finally got their shit together with Crooked Timber and ABCDL, the latter in particular and then it's back to the meat and veg stuff which I know some people like but give me songs like The Buzzing every day of the week over what came after it.
Like I said before - I don't blame them for going more commercial ( not selling out ) after A Brief Crack Of Light. Disquiet was a top 70 album.

Therapy? aren't a huge band. They still have to do this to pay the bills. Of course i'd love an album like Suicide Pact again but it's not going to happen.

Of course if Cleave is a big seller - they *MAY* go weird again on the one after that. . . Y'never know
Top 70 is hardly going to put a new wing on Cairns manor.
(05-25-2018, 12:36 PM)The Borderlands Wrote: What I like most about T? albums is when they surprise me. My taste is pretty varied and I don't actually listen to that much heavy music, but my favourite T? albums all have a great mixture of texture, structure, atmosphere and strong melodies. Which is probably why I'm not big on HA, OCFA and Disquiet, but absolutely love CT and ABCOL. Sometimes I think "what kind of album would I love a band to make?", and those two are the closest a band has ever come to making those dream albums for me. So Cleave looking like another poppy one doesn't bode well for me. But I'll get it and give it a listen, and I'm sure there'll be at least a couple of songs I like on there, as on all of their albums. And if it is generally straight-forward stuff then I wouldn't be surprised if they want to stretch themselves next time. Much as I get where people are coming from by saying they might want to play it a bit more safe at this point, I honestly can't imagine a band as creative and with influences as diverse as theirs being happy to keep pushing out variations on the same sound.

(05-25-2018, 10:17 PM)Kill_Hill Wrote: Callow is a good song but it's seems to be more of the Disquite angle which doesn't interest me greatly. They finally got their shit together with Crooked Timber and ABCDL, the latter in particular and then it's back to the meat and veg stuff which I know some people like but give me songs like The Buzzing every day of the week over what came after it.

Great posts. I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking.
I played ABCOL to friends who aren't too bothered with Therapy? when it came out and they were all very impressed with it, it's a really progressive album and the production is easily one of their best, I'm surprised they didn't do Disquite them selves again. Deathstimate was the only song off the last album for me that really impressed.