Hello, anopther (OLD) Old member here
Hello everyone,

I used to be active on the old Teethgrinder.com forums run by Rene, this is going back to 2000 - 2001 I think? Feels like a bloody long time ago when I write it down. Already recognise a couple of names from those days..
Anyway, Therapy? are playing near me in November so I thought I'd grab a ticket, then stumbled across this page.

I've never really stopped listening to Therapy?, but I haven't really listened to anything after High Anxietey. So I guess I need to do a bit of homework before I see them, what are people's reccomendations album-wise? Any particular songs that tend to get played Live that I should know?

Cheers!
SLH
Hey welcome back!

You've got a lot to catch up on: http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/discography/

Crooked Timber is probably my favourite album since HA but all of them have individual tracks that stand out for me, and they're certainly all quite different from each other, as is traditional for T?.

I think Die Like A Motherfucker from Never Apologise is worth knowing as there will be audience interaction if they play it Wink
(08-20-2018, 03:00 PM)satanslittlehelper Wrote: Hello everyone,

I used to be active on the old Teethgrinder.com forums run by Rene, this is going back to 2000 - 2001 I think? Feels like a bloody long time ago when I write it down. Already recognise a couple of names from those days..
Anyway, Therapy? are playing near me in November so I thought I'd grab a ticket, then stumbled across this page.

I've never really stopped listening to Therapy?, but I haven't really listened to anything after High Anxietey. So I guess I need to do a bit of homework before I see them, what are people's reccomendations album-wise? Any particular songs that tend to get played Live that I should know?

Cheers!
SLH

Hi SLH,

And welcome back.

I ran a thread  on ranking Therapy? albums recently. 

Post High Anxiety, this is the order that people ranked them:

1-Crooked Timber
2-Never Apologise Never Explain
3-A Brief Crack of Light
4-Disquiet
5-One Cure Fits All

Crooked Timber actually ranked higher than classics like Infernal Love and Nurse, so as Hooch says, I would definitely start there.

I'm actually jealous that you're getting to binge on 15 years worth of Therapy? albums... plus another one next month!  Tongue

My own personal ranking of post High Anxiety albums would be:

1-Disquiet (this was their highest album chart wise since Suicide Pact, got great reviews from the likes of The Quietus, BBC 6 Music airplay etc, seen as a semi sequel to Troublegum)
2-Crooked Timber (I see High Anxiety to One Cure Fits All as being a bit of a mid career slump. But Crooked Timber is where it starts getting really good again. It has a bit of edge.)
3-A Brief Crack of Light
4-One Cure Fits All
5-Never Apologise Never Explain (never liked that album, even at the time)

1- Troublegum 2.83
2- Babyteeth 3.71
3- Crooked Timber 4.08
4- Infernal Love 4.5
5- Suicide Pact You First - 5.67
6- Nurse 6.25
7- Semi Detached 6.5
8- Never Apologise Never Explain 6.67
9- A Brief Crack of Light 8.5
10- Disquiet 8.58
11- Pleasure Death 10
12- One Cure Fits All 10.42
13- Shameless 10.67
14- High Anxiety 11.08
Post HA my favourite two are:
Never Apologise Never Explain  
Crooked Timber

Both are really cohesive albums with little to no filler

After that
A Brief Crack of Light - a really good album in the same vain as Crooked Timber, but not quite as good, but still very good
Disquiet - More straightforward songs like those on HA, a good album. Still Hurts and Tides look like they may stick around in the setlist.
One Cure Fits All - Not their finest work. Has some very good songs. I listened to it again recently and the good stuff is very good. I think the band have said it was a bit rushed. Too short a time spent in an expensive studio, rather than a longer recording time spent in a less expensive studio.
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!

(08-22-2018, 06:48 AM)hoochalobster Wrote: I think Die Like A Motherfucker from Never Apologise is worth knowing as there will be audience interaction if they play it Wink
Gave it a listen, I think I can see how that would work.

(08-22-2018, 08:43 AM)The_Derminator Wrote: I'm actually jealous that you're getting to binge on 15 years worth of Therapy? albums... plus another one next month!  Tongue
15 years.... wow, where has my life gone? Smile

(08-22-2018, 11:49 AM)Jarlath Wrote: Post HA my favourite two are:
Never Apologise Never Explain  
Crooked Timber

Seems like overall these are the two to dive into then. I did start working my way chronologically on spotify the other day, didn't love OCFA though. Crooked Timber here I come.. (actually listening to Magic Mountain as I type, loving it so far)

It's a shame they don't have all the albums on Spotify, i would go out and buy the CDs if I had something to play them on.
Post Shameless I'd put the albums in this order :

1. Cleave (2018) -  Absolutely the album 16 year old me wanted in 1995. As close to Troublegum as they've done in 24 years. Great album. Don't even care that it's only 33 minutes.

2. Crooked Timber (2009) - What a relief after the disappointment of One Cure Fits All. Amazing production. Really interesting riffs and a huge rhythm section. Fantastic lyrics which Andy hasn't matched since.

3. Never Apologise, Never Explain (2004) - Basically High Anxiety's insane twin brother. One of the heaviest pummelling albums they've done. Just great from start to finish.

4. High Anxiety (2003) - The closest they came to Troublegum since 1994. Great production. Everything has its place in the mix and stands out. Neil's first album. Martin's final album.

Really catchy and poppy throughout. Plus "Rust" is a highlight. Not only on this album but for their whole career. Great song. Guitars tuned to D or C standard mostly. The start of their current D tuning period.

It's a melodic album but also f---ing heavy in places.

5. Disquiet (2015) The first time the band actively set out to make a Troublegum sequel. They didn't copy it exactly. They came in from the angle of "what if the protagonist from troublegum was still around? 

What would he be doing now?". Some riffs are clearly (to me anyway) nods to some riffs from TG. But not in a terribly blatant way. It's more like " oh yeah that sounds a bit like X or Y song a bit ".

The production isn't great or awful it's just a bit muddy. I really like this album a lot. (But yeah Cleave is much better overall. Chris Sheldon does it again). Musically more straight forward and classic Therapy?

6. A Brief Crack of Light (2012) - Basically Crooked Timber part 2 but as someone else said - doesn't quite reach the same heights. Even has an instrumental. Albeit a lot shorter and not as good. 

It also has 2 of their most experimental songs ever in " The Buzzing " and " Ecclesiastes ". Which sound absolutely nothing like "Screamager" but I do love them. I do honestly.

7. One Cure Fits All (2006). The rushed album. The band have since gone on to say that this album was "under written, under rehearsed and recorded too quickly". The production is very muddled. The drums are notably very

low in the mix. I challenge you to hear the kit at all in the final chorus of "Deluded Son". Not sure how they managed that but there you go. It has a few decent tracks on but there's nothing *GREAT* as far as i'm concerned.

I tried listening to it again last week and it's one of those poorly produced albums where you think " ah it cant be that bad " - then you put it on and yeah it is. Private Nobody is just Teethgrinder.